From accessible athleisure wear to elevated going-out attire, flared leggings are rising to the top of the fashion heap. Here’s where to get yours.
Millennials, are you OK? Flared leggings are back in style. Anyone who lived through their reign in the early 2000s is likely having some mixed emotions about that. An emblem of Y2K styling, these bell-bottom pants are certainly not new, but their billowing silhouette is reliably controversial. This season, however, we’re welcoming the wide-leg design with open arms.
Flared leggings are cool again
From Gen Z-powered TikTok feeds to Hailey Bieber’s street-style ensembles, flared leggings have become a staple of 2023. One obvious reason? The pandemic made us appreciate the beauty of stretchy pants to step into, slip on and live comfortably in all day — whether working from the couch or running errands.
Plus, not only are they practical, but they’re also — hear us out — pretty chic.
How to style flared leggings
Because they cascade out below the knees, flared leggings have a steadying effect. With a voluminous lower silhouette, they balance the hips, elongate the legs, and lead to overall outfit symmetry.
Wear flared leggings with an oversized sweater, headband and runners, and they add to an effortless vibe. Go another route and pair them with strappy heels and a sleek leather jacket, and they complement a sexy statement. Or combine two aesthetics, à la Kylie Jenner, and wear them with a body-con baby tee and a heavy duty workout water bottle.
Flared leggings shape-shift to meet basically any aesthetic — all while letting your calves breathe. Why not give them a go in 2023?
The best flared leggings to buy right now
Airbrush high-waist bootcut leggings
Designed for performance and style, Alo Yoga takes the cake for the best flared leggings on the market. Coming in a chic matte finish, the smoothing fit has a cottony feel that is still sport-level breathable. Made of nylon and elastane, they offer medium-level compression for a sculpting fit. And if you’re not ready to go full billowing bootleg, the subtle flare is a great introduction into the Y2K style.
Looking for a different design option? You can find the high-rise split hem flared pant version of these best-selling leggings on Amazon.
- Four-way stretch that moves with you
- Available in multiple colours
- Several available sizes
- Reviewers appreciate them for being true to size
- A split-hem version is also available via Amazon
- Designed for medium-intensity training and everyday comfort, so may risk getting rundown if used for everyday high-intensity workouts
Versace flared leggings
Looking to foray into the fanciful side of the flared silhouette? Allow this branded Versace pair to help you do so. Made of a polyester-elastane blend, it has a luxe velour finish that somehow makes wearing leggings feel like an elevated indulgence.
And thanks to its luxury logo emblazoned waistband, it infuses some street-style coolness to archetypal workout wear. Psst—this order also qualifies for free shipping.
- Though it has a luxe fabric, it keeps the must-have moveability of leggings thanks to its polyester-elastane blend
- Easy to pair with other wardrobe staples
- Can be dressed up or down, day to night
- Logo waistband
- It’s only available in black
High-waisted wide leg pants
Starting at $27.99, these high-waisted pants are the loungewear gift that keeps on giving. Crafted to hug your waist, they offer an elongated look while feeling like, well, PJs. With the texture of peach skin fabric — a polyester microfibre that gives a soft suede-like finish — these are quite possibly the coziest flared leggings you can get.
These sculpt without restricting and reliably deliver the classic bell-bottom look.
- Available in 14 colours/patterns
- Suitable for low-maintenance machine wash
- Affordable alternative to the Athleta Elation flare pants
- Some reviewers note that they’re not very thick, so they’re best for temperate autumn days or wintertime indoor loungewear
Best plus size
Good American scuba pull-on flare pant
With a secure high-waisted fit and a comfortable waistband, these full-length flared leggings are the epitome of casual chic. We love the nylon-elastane blend and lightweight jersey finish in every pair of flared leggings. Designed for day-to-night versatility, these are total crowd-pleasers. But you can see that from the slinky heels paired with them above.
Available in up to a size 4X, the sophisticated flared hems infuse curve-accentuating wearability that goes beyond traditional activewear.
- Covered elastic waistband for added breathability
- Available in sizes XS through 4X
- Accentuates natural curves
- Only available in one colour
Pact PureFit bootcut legging
Pact’s PureFit collection uses the smallest amount of elastane possible to give that classic yoga stretch sans toxic synthetics. This pair is made of contouring organic stretch cotton which consumes much less water than conventional cotton. The brand doesn’t rely on harmful pesticides or fertilizers in its fabrics, either.
With a structured three-inch waistband, its bootcut fit flares below the knee for stretchy all-day wear that still delivers on fit. Plus, it’s available is six rich shades, from deep navy to forrest green.
- Made of organic cotton from a fair trade factory
- Uses less water to produce than other types of cotton or synthetic blends
- Durable fabric that doesn’t run risk the risk of being see-through; perfect for colder months
- Choose from six rich shades
- Multiple size offerings
- Some reviews note that they’re longer than expected, so if you’re in between sizes and generally run smaller, err toward lower size
Crossover high-waisted yoga pants
A certified Amazon best-seller with over 7000 reviews, these sculpting flares transcend workout attire. Similar to shape-wear, they give a stretchable structured fit that hugs your curves in all the right places, with figure-hugging pants that naturally elongate your natural shape.
Choose from 31 different colours, and then fall in love with their buttery soft texture and surprising versatility. You don’t have to be a yoga instructor to love these crossover flared leggings.
- Suitable for machine wash
- V-seam waistband that accentuates curves
- Super soft material
- Available in 31 colours
- Figure-hugging silhouette
- Affordable pricing
- No pockets
- Because they have a lightweight feel, they won’t be as durable as more heavy-duty pairs
Salutation Stash Rib Flare
Made of a nylon-spandex blend, the ribbed texture of these yoga pants puts an elevated spin on sporty style. Fitting naturally at the waist and flaring out subtly at the knees, the wicking fabric pulls sweat away from the body and into the fabric, allowing moisture to easily evaporate.
With a bootcut silhouette and slitted hem, they don’t drag on the floor but instead add to a lengthening shape that’s easy to move in.
- Bonded side stash pockets to store essentials
- Made of high-quality moisture wicking fabric to keep you cool and stay in place
- Inclusive sizing ranging up to 3X
- These high-waisted flare leggings are machine washable
- Trendy ribbed fabric design
- Some reviewers note that they run small, so if you’re taller, try sizing up
Lululemon Align high-rise mini-Flared pant
If you’re looking for wear-them-anywhere leggings, you’ll want this buttery soft pair from Lululemon. Designed for lounging comfortably at home or low-impact workouts like yoga, the brand’s Align leggings have quickly become a cult favourite.
This high-rise pair, with a narrow flare at the hem, goes with everything from running shoes to combat boots. Made of Lululemon’s Nulu fabric, the blend of nylon and Lycra elastane transforms sweat-wicking yarns into a velvety soft fabric. With four-way stretch and shape retention firmness, you might actually forget you’re wearing pants.
- Back drop-in pocket to hold your phone
- Hugs your body from waist to knee while still feeling breathable
- Like with any high-quality yoga pants, they risk losing elasticity if not washed carefully. To prevent this, wash with like colours using cold water, and only tumble dry on low
This article contains affiliate links, so we may earn a small commission when you make a purchase through links on our site at no additional cost to you.